175. Enhanced punishment for certain offences under Chapter XII or Chapter XVII after previous conviction.- Whoever, having been convicted,—
(a) by a Court in 2[India], of an offence punishable under Chapter XII or Chapter XVII of this Code with imprisonment of either description for a term of three years or upwards, 3[***]
shall be guilty of any offence punishable under either of those Chapters with like imprisonment for the like term, shall be subject for every such subsequent offence to 4[imprisonment for life], or to imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years.]
1. Subs. by Act 3 of 1910, sec. 2, for the original section.
2. The words “British India” have successively been subs. by the A.O. 1948, the A.O. 1950 and Act 3 of 1951, sec. 3 and Sch., to read as above.
3. The word “or” at the end of clause (a) and clause (b) omitted by Act 3 of 1951, sec. 3 and Sch.
4. Subs. by Act 26 of 1955, sec. 117 and Sch., for “transportation for life” (w.e.f. 1-1-1956).